If you’re a lover of bourbon and you have a penchant for darker, more complex, more sophisticated drinks, then you’ll love today’s cocktail.
It’s called “Smoked & Salted” — and it’s perfect for these warm evenings of late summer, when there’s no greater pleasure in the world than to sit outside and watch the sun set while sipping ice-cold bourbon with just a little hint of sweetness balanced by notes of smoke and gentle tang of sea salt.
Normally, I might urge you to “save” a recipe like this.
Don’t! Not this time.
Invite some friends over this weekend, and use this new cocktail as an “excuse” to sit outside, talk about life, and catch up on what’s new.
After all, we’re now in the tail end of summer.
In just a few short weeks, it will officially be autumn, and before you know it the leaves will be turning brown and your grandkids will be carving pumpkins.
So, this is a perfect way to seize the last of high summer.
What you’ll need:
Bourbon; maple syrup; smoke and salt bitters; ice cubes; and an orange.
Here’s how you make it:
- Lay out a whiskey glass for yourself and each of your friends, and place an ice cube and an orange twist in each glass.
- Pour some maple syrup into a larger drinking glass and add a small amount of hot water to thin it out. (Not too much, though.)
- For each drink, pour 1 part of the thinned maple syrup and 4 parts of bourbon into a mixing glass, along with 5 dashes of the smoke and salt bitters. Add some ice, and stir until the mixture is sufficiently chilled.
- Strain the mixture into each of the whiskey glasses.
- Serve outside, close your eyes, and enjoy the gentle warmth of late summer. (This cocktail is best enjoyed when the sun is setting.)
If you’re entertaining, you might want to bring your decanter of bourbon, a bucket of ice cubes, cocktail kit, and other ingredients onto your outside dining table. Because your friends will be wanting refills.
And, as always, I would love to see a photo of your finished drink, especially if you’re enjoying it in your Aurora Whiskey Glasses with friends.